Select Page


  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Neighborhood Block Watch
  4.  » Resident FAQs

Visit Elyria Family Holiday Light Displays

Palos Family Light Display
Giving a bit of Christmas cheer to neighbors and passers-by.
Where: 823 Oakwood Dr., Elyria, OH 44035
2021 Update: The display will be up for all to enjoy! Should be up completely by November 26, 2021.

The Marhevka’s Christmas Display
17 inflatables, multiple Christmas figures, more than 1500 lights, a border around the yard, and lots of other little nuances.
Where: 837 Duffey St., Elyria, OH 44035
2021 Update: The display will be up for all to enjoy! The lights will be on beginning November 26, 2021, through the holiday season.

Schofield Christmas Display
More than 1000 lights, 4 inflatables, the polar bear sits on a pond of blue lights, Carousel, teeter-totter, and Ferris wheel, 10 blow molds, 2 Santa's, a bear, 2 soldier's, 2 snowman, 2 candy canes, North Pole sign.
Where: 38884 E. River Rd., Elyria, OH 44035
2021 Update: The display will be up for all to enjoy! The lights will be on beginning December 1st.

Pokorny Family Christmas Lights
Going for 100,000 lights in 2021! Plus, 20 inflatables, 17 yard displays, and a spinning snow globe in a drive-by display.
Where: 10164 E. River Rd., Elyria, OH 44035 (Carlisle Township)
2021 Update: The display will be up for all to enjoy!

    Should I file a police report if nothing is taken from a car break-in?

    Answer: Yes. Even if nothing is taken (or something simple is taken, like change) always file a report. This ensures the break-in is on record with the Elyria Police Department which watches trends in your area and increases patrols when appropriate. If you don’t report the crime, they can’t act on your behalf.

    My house was recently broken into but I did not see it in the police blotter in the paper. Why?

    Answer: The police blotter only shows a few of the actual police reports for each day. If you want to see all the crimes reported in your area we suggest you use Community Crime Map. You can see everything that is happening in and around your home for all types of crime. The information found on this site comes directly from the Elyria Police Department.

    I’m reluctant to contact the police in fear of my neighbor finding out that I called on them.

    Answer: If you call the non-emergency police number you do not have to give out your name. Advise the dispatcher that you wish not to give out that information.

    My neighbor has a police scanner so when I call on their loud music they hear that the police have been dispatched over the scanner.

    Answer: When placing your call to the EPD, advise the dispatcher that the residents you are calling on have a scanner and you do not want this information sent to officers over the scanner. Dispatchers have other options to send information to officers.

    I think I may have a tip about a drug dealer or drug activity in my neighborhood, who do I call?

    Answer: You can call the EPD Narcotics Tip Line at 440-323-5123

    Who is my Council Representative?

    Answer: A complete list of Council Representatives, along with contact information and meeting dates can be found on the City Council page.

    Visit Hickories Museum Lorain County Historical Society

    Tour The Hickories and "Meet the Garfords", the family for which this beautiful house was built. Construction began in 1894 and was completed in 1896.

    Guided tours take approximately 45 minutes and require the ability to climb stairs. Tours are limited to groups of six or fewer individuals from the same self-defined/family group.

    Tours are offered Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at 1:00 PM; the first Saturday of each month at 1:00 PM; and other times by appointment.

    Tour Fees: Adults $5; Students & Children $3, Under 6 FREE; LCHS Members FREE

    Contact LCHS at (440) 322-3341 or to arrange for a tour.

      Dine Locally in Elyria


      368 E Bridge St, Elyria, OH 44035

      When you ask someone in Elyria what they know about Smitty's, they will more than likely tell you we have a great burger! Smitty's has been serving the Elyria community with food and good times since Mr. George Smith started the business 75 years ago. Since that time the business has only exchanged hands a few times but it has always been kept a family affair. Dick and Lottie Spinks operated the business for over twenty years; after that their daughter owned it; and now our family, Steve and Karen Frank with their daughter Stephanie, have kept the tradition going since 1992.

      Foundry Kitchen & Bar:

      525 Broad St, Elyria, OH 44035

      Foundry Kitchen & Bar is Lorain County's new restaurant and bar located in downtown Elyria. Foundry Kitchen boasts a chef driven, locally sourced, from-scratch menu highlighting traditional favorites and seasonal offerings along with a gluten free and vegan options as well. Foundry Bar is fully stocked with all the popular selections and features craft beer, a fine selection of wine and a variety of small batch bourbons! Please make plans to join us for Lunch, Dinner, Sunday Brunch or to just relax with a drink at the bar. We look forward to seeing you soon!

      Blue Sky Restaurant:

      802 Cleveland Street Elyria, Ohio 44035

      Visit the Local Coffee Shop - Erie Island Coffee Shop

      148 Middle Ave, Elyria, OH 44035

      One look at our espresso drinks and you'll know you've discovered a whole new level of coffee - our innovative latte art with every cup speaks for itself. The coffee itself is a whole new breed, with not a trace of bitterness and a delightful hint of chocolate and sweetness, the result of an amazing blend of five artisan-roasted beans.

      More info:

      Who do I call for barking dogs?

      Answer: Per Section 509.08, Elyria Codified Ordinances (ECO) barking dogs may be classified as a “noise disturbance”.  Call EPD at 440-323-3302.


      Who do I call when I see suspicious activity?

      Answer: Elyria Police Department at 440-323-3302. If it is an emergency dial 911. 


      How can I help the police nab the bad guy?

      Answer: Get a description, starting from the head down.  i.e.: “White male, wearing a Yankees baseball hat, brown hair over his shoulders, mustache, white sleeveless t-shirt, baggy jeans. He put something in his left pants pocket which may be drugs. He was walking north on Klein Ave. near 105th St.” 

      If you see a vehicle that may be involved in a crime, get a license number with a description of the vehicle.  Also write down the exact time of the incident. 

      Call EPD to make your report at 440-323-3302.


      Dog Park

      Come check out the NEW Elyria Dog Park! Bring the pups to run around and play in this spacious fenced in park!

      Hilltop Park

      1300 Gulf Road Elyria, Ohio

      Who do I call when I notice property maintenance issues?

      Answer: YOU MUST PROVIDE AN ADDRESS (where appropriate). Once you have the address, call the Building Department at 440-326-1491.

      Participate in the Various Parks and Recreation Activities

      Our Parks and Recreation Department provides residents and visitors with abundant opportunities to enjoy our beautiful City and all it has to offer, from lush parks and green spaces to swimming pools, athletic fields, recreation centers, a skate park, and an ice rink. Programming runs throughout the year, with activities for all ages and abilities.

      All Activities:

      Stroll The North Coast Inland Trail

      The North Coast Inland Trail, also known as the skinniest park in the Lorain County Metro Parks system, is open to non-motorized traffic of all kinds (except skateboards), including walkers, runners, bicyclers, in-line skaters and cross-country skiers. The trail’s long 13-mile straight-aways pass through a variety of countryside including farm, field and forest, and numerous intersections serve as convenient places to jump on or off the trail. So grab your bike, in-line skates or cross-country skis and check it out!

      1. Gateway Trailhead, 6302 Gateway Blvd., Elyria, OH 44035

      2. Butternut Ridge Trailhead, 44342 Butternut Ridge Rd., Oberlin, OH 44074

      3. Access to the NCIT is available near 265 South Main St., Oberlin, OH 44074**

      4. Access to the NCIT is available near the Kipton Community Park, 57 Rosa St., Kipton, OH 44049**

      Attend a Showcase at The Elyria Arts Council (Painting class, shop)

      336 Broad Street
      Elyria, Ohio 44035

      (440) 328-3025

      Gallery Hours:
      Thursday 11:00 am – 3:00 pm
      Friday 11:00 am – 3:00 pm
      Saturday 11:00 am – 3:00 pm

      Located in Elyria, Ohio, the Elyria Arts Council is a gallery and community devoted to making “Art Happen” in our city. As a 501c3 non-profit organization, we strive to better our community through art, starting with the colorful murals wrapped around our building that were painted by our member artists. You might have seen some of our artists’ work at The Garford Arts Festival but each month in our gallery, we host special shows of our artists’ work to showcase the talent and creativity in our town.

      We know that sometimes people need to take their first steps into the world of art though which is why we offer classes in painting, photography, and pottery in addition to hosting “Art Nights” for adults who want to explore a wide variety of art media. This opportunity to explore the arts is also given to children through our Kids’ Art drop-in program where children can create a low or no cost art project and maybe even build up the confidence to enter our popular annual Creative Christmas Tree Contest.

      Come and see for yourself the wonderfully creative spirit found in Elyria.

      Go Roller Skating/Blading at Roll Arena

      908 Cleveland Street Elyria Ohio 44035

      • Roller Skating | Roller Blading
        • Recreational
        • Artistic Club
        • Public and Private Lessons
      • Birthday Parties
      • Rock Climbing
      • Arcade Games
      • Fitness Center
      • And Much More!


      Check Out Cookies’ 10 Pin Bowling

      252 South Abbe Rd.  Elyria Ohio 

      Cookies' 10 Pin is a place to relax, play, and have fun.  We strive for good service, good selections, and great fun. Newly updated synthetic lanes and omputer scoring.  The top running ball returns add to a retro feel. What can we say, we like to eat, drink, and bowl.  Our kitchen is known for producing great food. 

      Cascade Park

      Answer: If your basement floods or you get a backup, contact Wastewater immediately so they can assist you, log it and track the situation. Sometimes you are not the only one in an area, so reporting the problem helps greatly in finding out what might be a much bigger issue.

      The City has operators at Wastewater 24/7 and they take all calls from residents regarding sewage backups, sewer odors, and water in the street complaints. The operators get the calls immediately to the collection system supervisors and they are investigated from there. DO NOT CALL the police department, even if it is “after hours.” Calling EPD will delay getting someone out to the residence. 

      Residents should call the Wastewater plant at 440-366-2211 and press option 'O' to get the operator.

      Does the city still have a public access cable channel?

      Yes, the public access channel is spectrum channel 1025. Various announcements and notices are posted on the cable channel to provide citizens with information.