Each residence will be issued one garbage cart and one recycle cart. Extra carts can be purchased through the Elyria Public Utilities office at a cost of $50.00 each.
Proper Use of City Issued Garbage and Recycling Cans:
- The black cart is for GARBAGE ONLY. The green cart is for RECYCLABLE ITEMS ONLY.
- Please keep three feet of clearance around cart for easy access, including between the green can and the black can. If possible, place one can on each side of the driveway to ensure space.
- Place wheels facing away from the street.
- Refuse may be placed on the curb-lawn no sooner than 5:00 PM the day prior to collection, but no later than 7:00 AM on your scheduled collection day. Sanitation drivers begin their routes at 7:00 AM. Anything placed on the curb-lawn after 7:00 AM may not be picked up that week.
- Carts must be removed from the tree lawn the same day collection is made (per City Ordinance 959.16).