The Elyria Planning Commission (or in some cases the Design Review Committee as its representative) considers the following application elements:
- Building mass and exterior detail relative to adjacent buildings or site features;
- Materials, texture and color;
- Landscaping, screening, buffering, fencing, and lighting;
- Vehicular and pedestrian access;
Meetings are held on the first Tuesday of each month at 11:00 AM in City Hall Council Chambers. During the COVID-19 pandemic the Commission will meet virtually via Zoom. To join the virtual meetings, please visit cityofelyria.org/youtube.
PLANNING COMMISSION DATES
- January 5, 2021
- February 2, 2021
- March 2, 2021
- April 6, 2021
- May 4, 2021
- June 1, 2021
- July 6, 2021
- August 3, 2021
- September 7, 2021
- October 5, 2021
- November 2, 2021
- December 7, 2021
PLANNING COMMISSION MEMBERS
- Frank Whitfield (Chairperson)
- Dawn Calvert (Vice-Chairperson)
- Tom Aden
- Derrick Tedrow
- Barry Hubbard
- Sam Battle
- Chad Schneider
- John Hammond (Parks Board Alternate)
PLANNING COMMISSION EX-OFFICIO MEMBERS
- Darryl Farkas, Chief Building Official
- Ashley Scott, Director, Office of Community Development
- John Schneider, City Engineer
- Chief William Gall, Fire Marshall
- Jim Taylor, Administrative Legal Counsel
FORMS | DESIGN REVIEW & PLANNING COMMISSION
PROCEDURES TO APPLY TO PLANNING COMMISSION
- Complete the attached application request for Planning Commission Review. Or provide a letter addressed to the Elyria Planning Commission stating what is being requested.
- Please provide 16 complete sets; application, drawings, photos, etc.; 4 full original sets (Engineering, Community Development, Fire, Building), and 12 copied sets to the Planning Commission Secretary no later than 15 days prior to the scheduled Planning Commission Meeting.
- If a Variance or Conditional Use Permit is being requested, please provide names, addresses and parcel numbers of the adjacent and adjoining property owners of the property and a public notice will be mailed out to those property owners.
- If a Re-Zoning request is made, please provide the required legal description, or survey of the area, including size in square footage or acreage, include locations of the areas as to City streets, and numbers or distances from an indicated intersection, etc. A complete list of the specific requirements can be located in the Elyria Codified Ordinance, Section 1133.03 and is available upon request.
- A $100 Variance fee is required – made payable to the City of Elyria.
- A $500 fee is required to apply for a Conditional Use Permit and a Re-Zoning request.
- There is NO fee to request a Waiver to the Design Review Guidelines or for Planning Commission Review. (A list of other fees are listed on the application)
- Please provide photographs of the property to show how the Variance, if granted, will affect adjacent properties. Three or four photos of the affected area of construction are sufficient. (Front, rear, sides).
- If needed, the Planning Commission Secretary will send out a Legal Notice for the Public Hearing to be published in the Chronicle Telegram 14 days prior to the scheduled meeting.
- If you have any questions, please contact Planning Commission Secretary Mary Tomski at 440-326-1486.
The purpose of Design Review is to promote safe, functional and attractive development of business and commercial areas. The goals of the process are as follows:
- to unify commercial properties, both visually and physically, with surrounding land uses
- to facilitate a more healthful urban atmosphere
- to protect and preserve the unique and cultural features within the City, and
- to protect commercial property values by enhancing the City’s appearance
The Design Review process applies to the following activities:
- NEW CONSTRUCTION – except for 1, 2 and 3 family dwellings
- EXISTING BUILDING/LANDSCAPES – additions, alterations or renovations to an existing building site or landscape – other than 1, 2 or 3 family building projects – which affect the exterior appearance of a building or site, including but not limited to:
- new or existing signs
- color changes
- parking area modifications
- site lighting alterations
The Design Review Process does NOT apply to the following activities:
- Ordinary maintenance or repairs to an existing building or site provided such work involves no change in materials, design, dimensions, texture, color or outer appearance.
- Interior alterations
- 1, 2 and 3 family building projects