Select Page


  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Department
  4.  » 
  5. Building and Land
  6.  » Building and Land FAQs

Are solicitors required to be registered?

Answer:  Yes, each person who is soliciting door-to-door must obtain a permit through the City of Elyria. Solicitors with permits will have a badge from the City/Elyria Police with a photo ID of the person. A company badge does not qualify being registered. Also this does not apply to school-age groups such as Scouts or Little League.

Who do I call if a street light is out?

Answer: First Energy Corporation: 1-888-544-4877

Who do I call when I notice high grass, junk cars, or other public nuisance issues?

Answer: YOU MUST PROVIDE AN ADDRESS (where appropriate).  If the complaint involves a vacant lot, identify the location, i.e.: “The vacant lot between 100 and 108 Klein Ave.”

Once you get the address, call the Elyria Building Department at 440-326-1491. 

NOTE: If you live in a private development, you should call the association president or complex manager.

What is considered “high grass”?

Answer: Grass above 8 inches is eligible to receive a notice. High grass complaints with a notice have 5 days to resolve the issue. If, on day 6, the high grass remains, the City will cut the grass at a rate of $300 per hour, with a minimum charge of 1 hour.

NOTE: If you live in a private development, you should call the association president or complex manager.


Who do I call if my neighbor doesn’t bring in their cart within 24 hours?

Answer: Per City ordinance, you would call the Elyria Police Department in this matter. But please consider if this is the best use of our safety forces. Elyria is a place known for its great people—neighbors who help one another out. Can this be your chance to live that example?

Who do I call when I notice property maintenance issues?

Answer: YOU MUST PROVIDE AN ADDRESS (where appropriate). Once you have the address, call the Building Department at 440-326-1491.

What are the regulations regarding garbage pick-up?

Answer: Garbage shall be placed in city issued trash cans. It shall not be placed on the curb lawn before 5:00 PM the night before pick-up and after 6:30 AM of the designated pick-up day. Containers shall be removed from the curb lawn within 12 hours after pick-up.  

NOTE:  If loose garbage is left on the curb lawn, it is the resident’s responsibility to pick it up immediately. If garbage is placed early or allowed to remain after your normal pick-up, the resident can be fined or charged for a special pick-up.

Am I permitted to park a vehicle on the lawn?

Answer: This is permitted for a temporary period of time and only for washing, waxing, and other short-term activities. At all other times vehicles must be parked on an approved driveway. 

Per Section 351.19, ECO: the EPD can issue a ticket for a “Front Yard Parking” violation and the Building Department can cite a property owner if a vehicle is parked anywhere else on the property other than on an approved driveway.

Am I permitted to have a fire pit on my property?

Answer: Per Section 521.14, ECO: Recreational fires are permitted, but with restrictions:

  • Maximum 3’ diameter
  • Maximum flame height of 2’
  • Minimum of 25’ from a structure
  • Constantly attended until the fire is extinguished
  • Must have extinguishing agent present (Minimum 4-A rated fire extinguisher, garden hose, water barrel, dirt, sand, or water truck). 

 IMPORTANT:  Open burning that is offensive or objectionable because of smoke or odor emissions or when atmospheric conditions or local circumstances make such fires hazardous, shall be prohibited.

Are pedestrians permitted to walk in the street?

Answer: Per Section 371.05, ECO: Where a sidewalk is provided and its use is practicable, is it unlawful to walk in the street. Where a sidewalk is not available, pedestrians shall walk only on a shoulder, as far as practicable from the edge of the roadway. Any pedestrian upon a roadway shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

What are the regulations regarding bicycles?

Answer: Per Chapter 373, ECO: The operator must be licensed to ride on the street.  The license may be obtained from the Elyria Police Department at a cost of $1.00. Operator must ride on the right side of the street near the edge of the pavement. The bicycle shall not carry more people at one time than the number for which the bicycle is designed. Bicycles shall not be operated in Ely Square and shall not be ridden on the sidewalks of Broad St. from East Bridge St. to West Bridge St.; on Middle Ave. and Court St. from Broad St. to Third St.; on East Ave. from Depot St. to Third St.; and on West Ave. from Tremont St. to Third St.

Who do I call if I get water in my basement during/after it rains?

Answer: If your basement floods or you get a backup, contact Wastewater immediately so they can assist you, log it and track the situation. Sometimes you are not the only one in an area, so reporting the problem helps greatly in finding out what might be a much bigger issue.

The City has operators at Wastewater 24/7 and they take all calls from residents regarding sewage backups, sewer odors, and water in the street complaints. The operators get the calls immediately to the collection system supervisors and they are investigated from there. DO NOT CALL the police department, even if it is “after hours.” Calling EPD will delay getting someone out to the residence. 

Residents should call the Wastewater plant at 440-366-2211 and press option 'O' to get the operator.