Elyria, Ohio – Earlier this morning City of Elyria officials learned of the death of five individuals, all family members, in their home. The situation is currently under investigation by the City of Elyria Police Department.
“It is with great sadness that we share this tragic news,” said Elyria Mayor Frank Whitfield. “This has been a challenging year — to say the least. Never did we imagine having to share the news that we’ve lost one of Elyria’s families in this way.
“Elyria mourns with their family and friends who woke to such tragic news. My heart is broken for this family in particular the children. I cannot imagine the pain those close to them must feel and we send our deepest condolences and are here to support them and any of our residents who need our help.”
The City of Elyria reminds its residents of the many mental health organizations available to provide support. If you or someone you know is struggling emotionally or mentally, please connect with one of the following supports. Studies show that most people with mental health challenges get better and many recover completely.
- A 24-Hour crisis hotline is available to victims of domestic violence through the Genesis House Domestic Violence Center of Lorain County, offering support and allowing victims to discuss their situation while remaining anonymous, if they so choose: 440-244-1853 or 440-323-3400 (Note: if you require immediate medical attention or your life is in jeopardy, please call 911)
- The Nord Center 24/7 Emergency/Crisis Hotline: 1-800-888-6161 or 440-204-4222
- Ohio Crisis Text Line: Text “4Hope” to 741741
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-888-6161
- HELP: www.selfinjury.com
- 24/7 Emergency Crisis Hotline: 1-800-888-6161
More resources are available through the Lorain County Community Action Agency http://www.lccaa.net