When the weather turns cold, it can bring a chill into our homes. Portable space heaters have become a popular way to supplement central heating or heat one room. If you plan to use portable electric space heaters, make sure to follow these tips and recommendations:
• Purchase a heater with the seal of a qualified testing laboratory.
• Keep the heater at least 3 feet (1 metre) away from anything that can burn, including people.
• Choose a heater with a thermostat and overheat protection.
• Place the heater on a solid, flat surface.
• Make sure your heater has an auto shut-off to turn the heater off if it tips over.
• Keep space heaters out of the way of foot traffic. Never block an exit.
• Keep children away from the space heater.
• Plug the heater directly into the wall outlet. Never use an extension cord.
• Space heaters should be turned off and unplugged when you leave the room or go to bed.
Types of electric space heaters:
• Oil or water-filled radiator: Heated oil or water travels through the heater.
• Fan-forced heater: A fan blows warm air over metal coils.
• Ceramic heater: Air is warmed over a ceramic heating element.
• Infrared heaters: Heat is created by infrared bulbs.