Select Page


  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Department
  4.  » 
  5. Water Distribution Department
  6.  » Water Distribution FAQs

How do I report a water main break?

Answer:  During regular business hours contact Elyria Public Utilities at 440-326-1570.

After hours, holidays and weekends, please contact Elyria Police Department Dispatch 440-323-3302.

How do I pay my water bill?

AnswerFor the convenience of our residents, there are multiple options for paying utility bills:

Who do I call to have my service turned on or off?

AnswerPlease contact Elyria Public Utilities at 440-326-1570.

Where does Elyria water come from?

AnswerThe City of Elyria operates a Water Pumping Plant on the shore of Lake Erie in Lorain Ohio.

What if I have complaints about my water’s color, taste, or odor?

AnswerPlease call Elyria Public Utilities to report water quality issues at 440-326-1570.

Also if running water to clear the line, run the cold water from an unscreened spigot such as a stationary tub or utility sink. Do not run hot water until after your water runs clear.

I just washed my clothes in rusty water. What should I do?

AnswerFirst, do not dry the load. Call Elyria Public Utilities at 440-326-1570 and they will help you address the problem.

The city fixed a water main break in my tree lawn. Who is responsible for the lawn repair?

AnswerThe Elyria Water Distribution Department will repair the lawn with topsoil, and seed after settling and drying of the area. Please be patient – the ground takes some time to settle.

I am pouring a new driveway and there is a water valve in my driveway. What should I do?

AnswerIf you are planning to replace your driveway apron or sidewalk, it is mandatory that you call the Ohio Utilities Protection Service (OUPS) at 8-1-1 before you dig.

Make sure you and/or your contractor adhere to this law. When you call 811, all utilities in the area of your excavation are marked to protect them from damage. Please call a MINIMUM of two days prior to digging to avoid any delays.