Select Page


  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Department
  4.  » 
  5. Engineering Department
  6.  » Engineering FAQs
Do I need a permit to dig in my yard?

Answer: If you will be digging in the right of way, a permit is required. There is no fee. For all excavation permits which require a fee, the entire deposit minus $100.00 will be returned to the applicant six months after signed approval by the inspector.


In tree lawn $0 deposit
Cutting pavement (less than 16’ in length $400.00 deposit + $100
Cutting pavement (16’ – 40’ in length) $500.00 deposit + $100
Cutting pavement (over 40’ in length $600.00 deposit + $100
Who do I call if the main sanitary or storm line is not flowing properly?

Answer: Please notify the Wastewater Department at 440-366-2211.

Who is responsible for the maintenance of the pipes from the street curb to my house?
Answer: Storm laterals are the responsibility of the homeowner.
Who does building inspections?

Answer: The Building Department can be reached at 440-326-1491.

Who do I call about potholes?

Answer: Every year, the Engineering Department ranks all Elyria streets that are in need of repair. Estimates are then prepared for the worst-ranked streets and presented to Elyria City Council for consideration. City Council approves street repair based on the annual Elyria budget.

If you believe your street is in need of repair, you should contact the Engineering Department at 440-326-1444. As City Council plays an important role in the street resurfacing process, you are encouraged to also contact your Ward Council person. Once Council approves a street for resurfacing, the Engineering Department prepares all drawings and bid documents, administers the contract, and performs construction inspections.

Who do I contact with questions about garbage removal?

Answer: Answers to frequently asked questions can be found here. You can also contact the Sanitation Department at 440-322-3895.