Our pupose is to regulate construction and promote public safety. To have a vigilant commitment to adopted codes, current training for the execution of our duties and an awareness of the honor in public service are our obligations. With the support and cooperation of the community and a commitment to excellence we can participate in creating an improved quality of life in the City of Elyria.
We are certified by the State of Ohio Board of Building Standards, for all Use Groups in the Ohio Building Codes. Our duties include issuing permits, code enforcement on adopted codes and investigation on property maintenance complaints.
Our department is an active member of the, International Code Council (ICC) and the North Central Ohio Building Officials Association (N.C.O.B.O.A).
- Residential Code of Ohio RCO 2013
- Ohio Building Code OBC 2011
* (Both Building Codes have Referenced Standards, which identifies the appropriate dates, and versions that will be enforced)
- Ohio Mechanical Code OMC *
- Ohio Plumbing Code OPC *
- National Electrical Code NEC *
- International Property Maintenance Code IPMC 2012
- City of Elyria Codified Ordinances ECO
- Phone: 440.326.1493
- Fax: 440.326.1488
Forms of Payment
We accept all forms of payment such as,
- Master Card
The City will not invoice for Building Department services