Elyria, OH – The City of Elyria is supporting friends and family of the Nelson Family with a Candlelight Vigil on Tuesday, August 4, at 8:00PM in front of the West Recreation Center.
All five members of the Nelson family were found dead in their home July 28th. The deceased are spouses John and Robin Nelson, and their three children Gavin, 12, Brianna, 10, and Liam, 6.
“This tragedy has been felt throughout our City,” shared Mayor Frank Whitfield. “For those who knew the Nelson family, and those who did not, there is a deep collective need to come together and pay respect, to mourn.”
Interested members of the community are encouraged to join Tuesday’s Candlelight Vigil for the Nelson Family at 8:00PM in front of West Recreation Center, located at 1200 Foster Avenue in Elyria. Attendees are required to wear a mask unless under the age of 10. Physical distancing protocols will be in place.
The City of Elyria reminds its residents of the many mental health organizations available to provide support. If you or someone you know is struggling emotionally or mentally, please connect with one of the following resources. Studies show that most people with mental health challenges get better and many recover completely.
- A 24-Hour crisis hotline is available to victims of domestic violence through the Genesis House Domestic Violence Center of Lorain County, offering support and allowing victims to discuss their situation while remaining anonymous, if they so choose: 440-244-1853 or 440-323-3400 (Note: if you require immediate medical attention or your life is in jeopardy, please call 911)
- The Nord Center 24/7 Emergency/Crisis Hotline: 1-800-888-6161 or 440-204-4222
- Ohio Crisis Text Line: Text “4Hope” to 741741
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-888-6161
- HELP: www.selfinjury.com
- 24/7 Emergency Crisis Hotline: 1-800-888-6161
Additional resources are available through the Lorain County Community Action Agency http://www.lccaa.net