PREVENT FROZEN WATER PIPES
PREVENT FROZEN WATER PIPES DURING WINTER
As the temperatures drop the risk for frozen pipes increases. Here are some tips prevent problems:
- Keep your thermostat at 55 degrees or above, even when you are away.
- Keep doors and windows closed and well insulated.
- Caulk cracks to prevent cold air from entering your home.
- Remove hoses and shut spigots from inside – drain if possible.
- Use pipe insulation wherever possible.
- During extreme temperatures run a trickle of water from your hot and cold faucets. The cost of the water is much less expensive than repairing broken pipes.
- Open cabinet doors to circulate warmer room air around pipes.
- Always keep your main service line shutoff valve clear and accessible. You may need to quickly shut the water of to minimize damage from burst piping.
- When thawing frozen lines never use open flame. Carefully us a hair dryer on the lowest setting and DO NOT get it wet.