CAR SEAT INSTALLATION
The Lorain County Car Seat Program educates parents and guardians on child passenger safety. The program also allows qualifying residents to buy a car seat or booster seat for $25.
- For Lorain County residents with qualifying incomes (Eligible for WIC or SNAP)
- Attend a 90 minute info session
- Cost is $25 per car seat or booster
Call 440-322-6367 to sign up for a class at one of the following locations:
- Lorain County Public Health: 9880 S. Murray Ridge Road, Elyria
- Elyria Fire Department – Arson and Fire Prevention Bureau: 330 East Broad Street, Elyria
OHIO CAR AND BOOSTER SEAT LAW
All children must ride in an appropriate car seat until they are 4 years old or weigh at least 40 pounds. Every child under age 8 must ride in a booster seat or other appropriate car seat, unless the child is 4”9” or taller. Every child ages 8-15 who is not in a booster seat must be buckled in a seat belt.
The Lorain County Car Seat Program is conducted through Lorain County Public Health, in coordination with Mercy Resource Mothers Program, Mercy Regional Medical Center, University Hospitals Elyria Medical Center, Elyria Fire Department, Lorain Fire Department, and in-part through the Ohio Department of Health’s Ohio Buckles Buckeyes Program and funding from the Community Foundation of Lorain County.
2. Use forward-facing until the child outgrows the seat (check the label). Use the harness.
3. Booster seat – for children who have outgrown a harness. Always use a seat belt across the top of the thigh and from shoulder to hip (not behind the head/back). Use until the child is 8 years old or 4’9” or taller.
4. Is your child ready for a seat belt only? Yes, if they can…
- Sit with his or her back against the seat back.
- Legs bend naturally at the edge of the cushion.
- Lap belt fits low on upper thighs; shoulder belt across to hip.