ELYRIA, OH – The City of Elyria will honor our country’s fallen military personnel this Memorial Day on Monday, May 25 beginning at 10:30 AM with a small-car parade through the streets of Elyria.
“As Americans, we join communities across the nation honoring the men and women who sacrificed their lives serving in the United States Armed Forces,” said Mayor Whitfield. “However, under our new normal, traditional, congregate observations simply aren’t appropriate. We were deeply inspired by the Elyria City Schools’ Honk & Wave parades, and hope residents will take a brief moment, just as they did for those parades, to step outside, and share a moment of remembrance with us in a memorable way.”
The following information and guidelines are provided to encourage as many Elyrians as possible to participate, while keeping all members of our community safe.
Community Member Guidelines:
- In accordance with continued physical distancing guidelines from the state, traditions such as walking with the parade will not be permitted.
- Residents are encouraged to celebrate Memorial Day and enjoy the parade from their driveways and/or along major streets in their neighborhood where the parade route runs (shared below).
- Again, physical-distancing protocols are recommended. Community members are encouraged to wear masks, maintain 6 feet of separation where possible, refrain from touching their faces, and wash and/or sanitize hands often.
Parade Participant Guidelines:
- In accordance with continued physical distancing guidelines from the state, traditions such as walking with the parade and disseminating candy and other giveaways is not permitted.
- Participation as a driver in the Memorial Day small-car parade is by invitation only to ensure further compliance with physical distancing orders.
- Parade participants will assemble at Ely Stadium at 10:00 AM for staging and line placement.
Memorial Day Parade Route – 5.5 mi:
- PARADE BEGINS: Ely Stadium at 10:30 AM
- Oberlin Rd to West Ave
- West Ave north to Broad St
- Broad St to Washington Ave
- Washington Ave north toColumbus St (2 mile mark)
- Columbus St to Gulf Rd
- Gulf Rd turn south to E. Bridge St
- E. Bridge St to Park Place
- Turn onto Park Place
- Park Place to Broad St
- Broad St to Park Ave
- Park Ave south to E. Heights Blvd
- E. Heights Blvd to 4th St
- 4th St to Middle Ave (4 mile mark is EHS)
- Turn south onto Middle Ave
- END: Ely Stadium
“Our traditions matter,” shared Mayor Whitfield. “And honoring those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom is a community commitment we will continue to make, especially during the COVID-19 crisis. Many things may be changed right now, but taking the time to demonstrate respect and homage to our country’s heroes will always be a priority for our community.”
Local veterans groups will be placing flags on the graves of deceased military servicemen and women on Saturday, May 23rd, and hosting a memorial service at Ridgelawn Cemetery at 1:00 PM on Monday the 25th.
Residents interested in viewing the parade and/or memorial service can watch both events online through Facebook Live at www.facebook.com/ElyriaOhio.
Map of the 2020 Memorial Day Parade Route: