GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
- Perform any and all departmental tasks as outlined and instructed by the designated supervisor or maintenance manager.
- Assist skilled maintenance with the labor involved in the maintenance and repair of damaged or hazardous trees. Performs general labor such as putting brush through chipper, raking leaves/limbs, sweeping debris, pick up trash, plant flowers, snow removal, and other seasonal tasks.
- Receive training in the operation of department equipment and vehicles, which may qualify them for future consideration as Laborer I or Service Worker.
- Operate any and all equipment and vehicles as instructed, after proper training and approval by appropriate department personnel and supervisor.
- Perform heavy work for an extended period of time under various climactic conditions.
- Assist other departments in the performance of their work as directed by the Safety Service Director or her designated supervisor.
- Paints and performs other minor maintenance.
- Carries or holds materials, supplies or tools to assist other personnel.
- Loads and unloads trucks.
- Washes and cleans vehicles, tools and equipment.
- Responsible for compliance with all established safety standards and regulations.
- Must be available for call-in emergencies that occur during off duty hours.
- Must demonstrate regular and predictable attendance.
- Must be able to perform heavy manual labor, which includes lifting, reaching, stretching and bending.
- Must have and continually maintain a working telephone (proof will be required and records must be kept up to date).
- Must be a high school graduate or possess a G.E.D.
- Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age and be in possession of, and continually maintain, a valid Ohio Driver’s License. A commercial driver’s license (CDL) is required.
- Must be trustworthy and able to communicate satisfactorily with other employees and the general public.
- Must have knowledge of and be able to perform a variety of unskilled maintenance and manual tasks and have the ability to use basic tools.
- Must have ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of safety procedures associated with Forestry/Sanitation.
- Knowledge of and ability to use tools and equipment after proper instruction.
- Ability to lift heavy articles.
- Knowledge of plant/trees.
- Arboriculture experience
- Will be offered training in the operation of equipment and vehicles that may qualify them for higher level positions across the City (i.e. Service Worker).
- Applicant must be willing and available to perform work in “Call-Out” situations at all hours of the day and in all weather conditions.
The following are examples only and not intended to be all-inclusive: chipper, gas powered tools, chain saw, dump truck, snow plow, hand tools, bucket truck.
INHERENTLY HAZARDOUS OR PHYSICALLY DEMANDING WORKING CONDITIONS:
Has exposure to hot, cold, wet, humid and/or windy conditions while working in very physically demanding jobs. Applicant will work around the roadway both day and night. This position is a hands-on position that involves dirty, dusty, and debris situations in adverse weather conditions.
RATE OF PAY:
STEP C – $21.0975
SCHEDULE OF HOURS:
Regular hours shall be Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. May involve some overtime per Union Contract. Must be available for call-in emergencies that occur during off duty hours.
This position demands off-schedule hours, call-in hours, stand-by work, and other non-routinely scheduled duties. Incumbents must understand that their flexibility is second to the City’s work demands during times of weather or service emergencies.
Qualified candidates should submit a City of Elyria application found at https://www.cityofelyria.org/department/human-resources/ or via e-mail to email@example.com or by mail or in person to ATTN: HR, 131 Court Street, Suite 104, Elyria, OH 44035.