FLSA STATUS: Exempt
TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.*
- Prepares engineering plans and specifications for street paving, water main, and related civil engineering structures and projects; prepares reports outlining proposed engineering plans. (C4)
- Prepares contract specifications for projects; coordinates referrals and bidding activities; prepares and reviews bid opening paperwork. (C4)
- Researches and analyzes data related to engineering projects; creates cost estimates; reviews project plans for compliance with City standards. (C4)
- Manages engineering projects, which may include reviewing final designs; enforcing contractor compliance with contracts, standards, and specifications; overseeing construction contracts; monitoring project progress and budget; and performing related duties. (C4)
- Communicates with the public on engineering projects; responds to related inquiries and complaints from the public. (B2)
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level. (N/B)
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or related disciplines; up to 5 years of related experience. Minimum Qualification can be substituted with an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
LICENSING REQUIREMENTS: None
- Civil engineering principles and practices;
- Construction principles and practices;
- Project management principles;
- Research methods;
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes;
- Departmental functions, policies, and procedures;
- Contract management principles;
- Bidding process and procedures;
- Budgeting principles; and
- Computers and related software applications.
- Managing engineering projects;
- Preparing engineering specifications;
- Ensuring compliance with applicable internal and/or external program requirements;
- Interpreting and applying applicable laws, rules, and regulations;
- Reading and comprehending drawings, designs, improvement plans, and specifications;
- Managing contracts;
- Preparing and reviewing bids;
- Monitoring a budget;
- Preparing and maintaining records; and
- Utilizing communication and interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, and others sufficient to exchange or convey information.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Positions in this class typically require: reaching, standing, walking, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Qualified candidates should submit a City of Elyria application found at https://www.cityofelyria.org/department/human-resources/ or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail or in person to ATTN: HR, 131 Court Street, Suite 104, Elyria, OH 44035.
*The above position description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the City.