The City of Elyria is seeking a full-time Information Technology Technician to join our Information Technology Department. The Technician position offers support for City’s servers, maintains City technology, installs software and hardware, maintains City websites and databases, and provides technical support for City employees. The Technician position is an entry-level position within the Information Technology Department.
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
This is the first level of the Information Technology Series. Incumbents provide information technology support for the City’s servers, computer hardware, software, database systems and networks. Responsibilities may include: serving as a resource to other technology staff on technology issues; maintaining the City technology infrastructure; installing software and hardware; creating system accounts; troubleshooting system problems; implementing network, programming and database solutions; monitoring the City networks and servers; maintaining websites and/or databases; coordinating with vendors to maintain and enhance systems when necessary; providing technical training and support to employees; maintaining records and ensuring system security.
TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.*
- Installs, updates, monitors, maintains, configures, tests, evaluates, and/or programs technology software, hardware, email and file servers, networks, and peripheral devices; updates virus protection applications to ensure system security and compliance with laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Troubleshoots and resolves computer hardware, software, network, and equipment problems to include providing technical assistance, evaluating and troubleshooting systems, and installing and configuring peripheral equipment and devices; identifies network connectivity problems; prepares and maintains related records and reports related to activities.
- Provides complex technical support to end users by responding to questions regarding hardware and software malfunctions; researches technological solutions when necessary.
- Maintains logs and records related to daily activities; maintains databases and files; coordinates inventory and invoicing processes.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE: Up to one year of specialized or technical training beyond high school; up to 3 years information technology or related experience. Minimum Qualification can be substituted with an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
LICENSING REQUIREMENTS: None
- Applicable hardware, software, and peripheral equipment;
- Applicable operating systems;
- Technology troubleshooting techniques;
- Customer service principles;
- Training principles;
- Recordkeeping principles; and
- Computers and related software applications.
- Troubleshooting and repairing hardware, software, and peripherals;
- Installing hardware and software;
- Providing end-user support;
- Communicating technical information to a non-technical audience;
- Maintaining operational records;
- Training end-users;
- Using a computer and related software applications; and
- Utilizing communication and interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, and others sufficient to exchange or convey information.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Positions in this class typically require: reaching, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for Sedentary Work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for Light Work.
Qualified candidates should submit a City of Elyria application found at https://www.cityofelyria.org/department/human-resources/ or via e-mail to email@example.com or by mail or in person to ATTN: HR, 131 Court Street, Suite 104, Elyria, OH 44035.
*The above position description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the City.