FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Incumbents is the City’s key human resource, benefits and risk management expert and responsible for optimizing the City’s human capital by providing strategic human resources management solutions and services to all city departments through centralized employee programs, systems and processes. The Director is responsible for functions that minimize the exposure of the city’s human, financial and physical assets to accidental loss through administrative program management and an aggressive risk management approach that includes identification, evaluation and control. The Director applies all legislation adopted by City Council and confers with the Mayor and Safety Service Director in the development and execution of all policies, procedures, programs and services associated with personnel administration, recruitment and selection, licensure and certification, employee relations, classification and compensation, labor and employment relations, equal employment opportunity, employee benefits and coordination, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) regulations, evaluation and performance management, human resource development, workforce planning, insurance and self-insurance monitoring, and risk management programs.
TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.*
- Leads the City’s personnel administration efforts including the development of policies and regulations; contract and compensation development and management; employee benefits management and coordination; personnel records management; the Civil Service process; federal, state and local labor law compliances; leave administration/FMLA,FLSA, HIPPA, ADA, OSHA, and worker’s compensation, unemployment compensation and prevailing wages. (D6)
- Maintains all records related to the compliance by all departments regarding both employment and contracts with the City with equal employment opportunity requirements of both the State and Federal governments. (D6)
- Monitors, revises and enforces the City’s affirmative action policies. (D6)
- Plans, directs, co-ordinates work activities of departments related to employment, staffing, licensure, certification, evaluation, compensation, termination, promotion and labor and employee relations. (D6)
- Maintains a uniform system of records management of all employees that accurately records the use and accumulation of sick leave, vacation time, personal holidays, worker’s compensation, unemployment benefits –as well as employee evaluations, rewards, disciplinary actions, commendations and any other correspondence or pertinent information. (D6)
- Represents the interests of the City before state agencies responsible for Worker’s Compensation and unemployment compensation. (C4)
- Develops the human capital of the City by working with Police/Fire Chiefs, Department Heads/Managers and supervisors to provide regular skills, customer service and management training; mentoring opportunities; and other professional development. (D6)
- Addresses workforce planning issues, providing just-in-time solutions to terminations, replacements, temporary/interim positions and succession planning. (D6)
- Evaluates, recommends and initiates employee benefit systems to establish competitive programs ensuring compliance with legal requirements while maintaining cost-containment measures. (D6)
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level. (N/B)
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management or Business or Public Administration Organizational Development or related field required, Master’s Degree preferred; HR Certification, including Professional in Human Resources Certification (PHR) or SHRM-CP, preferred. Candidates must have eight to ten years of experience developing and implementing strategic HR, preferably in public organizations.
LICENSING REQUIREMENTS: None.
- Leadership principles;
- Program management principles and practices;
- Business management;
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, rules, and regulations, such as HIPPA, ADA, and FLSA;
- Applicable theories and principles related to area of assignment;
- Policy and procedure development practices;
- Strategic planning principles;
- Budgeting principles and practices; and
- Computers and related software applications.
- Managing, supervising and evaluating employees;
- Coordinating work with a variety of external organizations, internal departments, and/or the general public;
- Developing and implementing strategic plans;
- Interpreting, analyzing and applying Federal, State, and local laws and
- Developing, evaluating, and implementing processes, policies, and procedures;
- Reading, comprehending, and reviewing financial information;
- Analyzing complex information and solving problems;
- Analyzing processes and making recommendations for improvement;
- Mediating conflict and negotiating;
- Developing and administering budgets; and
- Utilizing communication and interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, and others sufficient to exchange or convey information.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Positions in this class typically require: reaching, standing, walking, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Qualified candidates should submit a City of Elyria application found at https://www.cityofelyria.org/department/human-resources/ or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail or in person to ATTN: HR, 131 Court Street, Suite 104, Elyria, OH 44035.
*The above position description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the City.