HIGH FIRE RISK WARNING FOR ELYRIA
The extremely dry conditions we are experiencing make it very likely that even the smallest spark can quickly get out of control and lead to a serious fire. Fireworks are ILLEGAL to discharge without a license and permit in Ohio. Grills, open fires and even legal novelties such as sparklers are likely to cause problems this 4th of July holiday season. Please follow these safety precautions.
- Leave fireworks to the professionals. They are trained to take precautions and control the exhibit.
- Do not discard lit cigarettes outside or along highways.
- For cooking or recreational fires, keep buckets of water, a hose and fire extinguisher nearby in case of emergency.
- If an outdoor fire occurs, call 911 immediately. Move people from the area. Try to extinguish small fires with a water hose or buckets of water if able.
- Keep grills away from low hanging branches, grass, tents, canopies or enclosed spaces like your garage.
- When around fire, wear well-fitted clothing and DO NOT Wear flammable materials like nylon.
- Never leave any fire pit unattended and when you are done, make sure you extinguish thoroughly – douse embers in water and stir with shovel. Make sure it is cool to the touch.