Medal of Honor
1. Only sworn officers are eligible for the medal of Honor.
2. The police officers's past performance in the area of adherence to the Police Code of Ethics is prerequisite.
3. A life threatening situation must be present - directed towards either an officer or a citizen.
4. An obvious attempt involving specific action must have been made by the officer to overcome the life threatening situation.
5. The display of the highest courage, professionalism and selflessness must be present.
6. At least one witness to the proposed recipient's conduct and overt actions concerning the incident under consideration must be present.
7. The action under consideration must have brought credit to the Elyria Police Department, fellow officer(s) or the individual proposed recipient.
Year Recipient 2010
Most Awards listed are from 2000 and newer. Awards information from prior years is very incomplete.