- Finwood Estate was built in 1929 for common Pleas Judge Guy B. Findley and his wife, Jennie. Situated on a serene 41 acres of densely wooded land, the estate was deeded to the City of Elyria on December 20, 1945 for park purposes. Judge Findley passed away at the age of 72 in 1958. Mrs. Guy B. Findley transferred the property to the city on August 29, 1978 to avoid possible vandalism and damage.
- The two story Tudorstyle brick house overlooks a ravine that features a quietly running creek. The estate is partially fenced and occasionally deer can be seen exploring their natural habitat.
- The woods surrounding the estate include a variety of trees and plants from around the world planted by the Findleys. Much of the beautiful oak and walnut woodwork in the house was cut from timber on the estate, including the black walnut paneling over the living room fireplace and the wild cherry paneling behind the built-in bookshelves. For fire protection, the walls, subfloors and floor of the gabled attic are made of concrete.
- The first floor of the estate has a living room, dining room, breakfast room, kitchen and bathroom. A full length concrete patio along the north side of the house is another unique feature. The second floor has four rooms, one fireplace and two bathrooms. Overlooking a three-car garage is an apartment that was used as servants’ quarters in earlier times.
- All the gutters and downspouts are built of copper; some decorated with the initial “F”. This beautiful house was built for just under $30,000 by the builder, Henry Heidrich.
- Today Finwood Estate is used by the Parks and Recreation Department as a rental facility.
- Self-guided nature trails situated throughout the 41 acre area provide for leisurely walks and wildlife nature programs.
- In order to check on the availability, reserve a date or inquire about rental fees, contact the Elyria Parks and Recreation Department main office at 440.326.1500
- No solicitations, sales or fees may be charged on park property.
- The downstairs of the house will accommodate 40 people. There is parking for approximately 55 cars.
- A refrigerator, tables and chairs are available to groups using the facility.
- Any additional information may be obtained by contacting the Elyria Parks and Recreation Department main office at (440) 326-1500. The main office is located at Elyria City Hall, 131 Court Street, Suite 103, Elyria, OH 44035. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited on park property. Smoking is prohibited inside the estate. Food and beverage is only allowed in the annex (garage area) of the estate.
- Current rental fees is $40 per hour.