City of Elyria > Departments > Block Watch > Block Watch FAQ

Block Watch FAQ

Here are some Frequently Asked Questions that could help coordinators or residents.  You can download a hardcopy of these questions and answers for distribution at meetings by clicking here.

Question: Are solicitors required to be registered?

Answer:  Yes each person who is going door to door soliciting must obtain a permit through the City of Elyria.  They will have a badge from the city/Elyria Police with a photo id of the person. A company badge does not qualify being registered.  Also this does not apply to groups such as boy/girl scout troupes, little league.


Question: Should I file a police report if nothing is taken from a car break-in?

Answer: Yes.  Even if nothing is taken or something simple like change, always file a report. This enables it be on record with EPD who can watch  trends of happenings in your area and increase patrols. If you don’t report, they won’t know.


Question:  My house recently gotten broken into but I did not see it in the police blotter in the paper. Why?

Answer:  The police blotter only shows a few of the actual police reports for each day.   If you want to see all the crime in your area we suggest you use Community Crime Map. You can see everything that is happening in and around your home for all types of crime.  The information found on this site comes directly from Elyria Police Dept.


Question:   I’m scared to contact the police in fear of my neighbor finding out that I called on them.

Answer:  If you call the non-emergency police number you do not have to give out your name.  Advise the dispatcher that you wish not to give out that information.  Dispatchers do not see who or where you are calling from if you are using the non-emergency number.


Question:    My neighbor has a police scanner so when I call on their loud music they hear that the police have been dispatched over the scanner.

Answer:  When calling advise dispatcher that the residents you are calling on have a scanner and you do not want this information sent to officers over the scanner.  Dispatchers have other options to send information to officers not just by radio scanner.


Question: I think I may have a tip about a drug dealer or drug activity in my neighborhood, who do I call?

Answer: You can call the EPD Narcotics Tip Line at 440-323-5123.


Question: Who are Elyria’s Council Representatives?

Answer: A complete list of Council Representatives, along with contact information and meeting dates can be found by clicking here.


Question: Does Elyria have a CURFEW?

Answer: Yes.

  • 15 and under: After 11:00 pm and before 6:00 am, 7days a week;
  • 16 and 17: After 11:00 pm and before 6:00 am, Sunday thru Thursday;
  • 16 and 17: After 1:00 am and before 6:00 am, Saturday (Friday night) and Sunday (Saturday night).


Question: Who do I call if a STREET LIGHT IS OUT?

Answer: First Energy Corp., 1-888-544-4877.


Question: Who do I call for DOGS RUNNING LOOSE?

Answer: The County dog warden, 326-5995.  If the dogs present an immediate threat or danger, call 911 or Elyria Police Dispatch at 323-3302.


Question: Who do I call for BARKING DOGS?

Answer: May be classified as a “noise disturbance” under Section 509.08, Elyria Codified Ordinances.  Call EPD at 323-3302.


Question: Who do I call when I see SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY IN THE AREA?

Answer: Elyria Police Department, 323-3302 unless it’s an emergency, then 911.


Question: How can I help the POLICE NAB THE BAD GUY?

Answer: Get a description, starting from the head down.  “White male, wearing a Yankees baseball hat, brown hair over his shoulders, mustache, white sleeveless t-shirt, baggy jeans.  He put something in his left pants pocket which may be drugs. He was walking north on Klein Ave. near 105th St.”  If you see a vehicle that may be involved in a crime, get a license number with a description of the vehicle.  Also write down the exact time of the incident.  Call EPD at 323-3302.


Question: Who do I call when I notice HIGH GRASS, JUNK CARS, or other Public Nuisance issues?

Answer: YOU MUST PROVIDE AN ADDRESS IF THERE IS ONE!  If the complaint involves a vacant lot, identify the location, (ie: The vacant lot between 100 and 108 Klein Ave.).  Once you get the address, call the Elyria Building Department at 326-1491 unless you live in a private development, then call the association president or complex manager.


Question: Who do I call when I notice PROPERTY MAINTENANCE ISSUES?

Answer: Again, YOU MUST PROVIDE AN ADDRESS!  Once you get the address, call the Building Department at 326-1491.


Question: What are the regulations regarding GARBAGE PICK-UP?

Answer: Garbage shall be placed in city issued trash cans.  It shall not be placed on the curb lawn before 5:00 p.m. the night before pick-up and after 6:30 a.m. of the designated pick-up day.  Containers shall be removed from the curb lawn within 12 hours after pick-up.  Note:  If loose garbage is left on the curb lawn, it is the resident’s responsibility to pick it up immediately.  If garbage is placed early or allowed to remain after your normal pick-up, the resident can be fined or charged for a special pick-up.


Question: Am I permitted to park a VEHICLE ON THE LAWN?

Answer: Only for a temporary period of time and only for washing, waxing, and other short-term activities.  Vehicles must be parked on an approved driveway at all other times.  EPD can issue a ticket for a “Front Yard Parking” violation (Section 351.19, ECO) and the Building Department can cite a property owner if a vehicle is parked anywhere else on the property other than on an approved driveway.


Question: Am I permitted to have a RECREATIONAL FIRE on my property? (Section 521.14, ECO).

Answer: Yes, but with restrictions.  Maximum 3’ diameter; Maximum flame height of 2’; Minimum of 25’ from a structure; Constantly attended until the fire is extinguished; Must have extinguishing agent present (Minimum 4-A rated fire extinguisher, garden hose, water barrel, dirt, sand, or water truck).  IMPORTANT:  Open burning that is offensive or objectionable because of smoke or odor emissions or when atmospheric conditions or local circumstances make such fires hazardous, shall be prohibited.


Question: Are pedestrians permitted to WALK IN THE STREET?  (Section 371.05, ECO)

Answer: Where a sidewalk is provided and its use is practicable, is it unlawful to walk in the street. Where a sidewalk is not available, pedestrians shall walk only on a shoulder, as far as practicable from the edge of the roadway. Any pedestrian upon a roadway shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.


Question: What are the regulations regarding BICYCLES? (Chapter 373, ECO)

Answer: The operator must be licensed to ride on the street.  The license may be obtained from the Elyria Police Dept. at a cost of $1.00. Operator must ride on the right side of the street near the edge of the pavement. The bicycle shall not carry more people at one time than the number for which the bicycle is designed. Bicycles shall not be operated in Ely Square and shall not be ridden on the sidewalks of Broad St. from East Bridge St. to West Bridge St.; on Middle Ave. and Court St. from Broad St. to Third St.; on East Ave. from Depot St. to Third St.; and on West Ave. from Tremont St. to Third St.


Question:  Who do I call if  I get water in basement during/after it rains?

Answer: If your basement floods or you get a backup, contact Wastewater immediately so they can assist you, log it and track the situation. Sometimes you are not the only one in an area, so reporting the problem helps greatly in finding out what might be a much bigger issue.  The City has operators at Wastewater 24/7 and they take all calls from residents regarding sewage backups, sewer odors, and water in the street complaints. The operators get the calls immediately to the collection system supervisors and they are investigated from there. DO NOT CALL the police department, even if it is “after hours.” Calling EPD will delay getting someone out to the resident as quickly as we try to respond to

these calls and, during heavy rain events, will overburden the EPD dispatchers. Residents should call the Wastewater plant at 440-366-2211 and press Option 0 to get the Operator.